DelphiFAQ Home Search:

How do I winterize a house?


comments5 comments. Current rating: 5 stars (1 votes). Leave comments and/ or rate it.


How do I winterize a house?


The water should be shut off at the main valve or at least at the inlet to the meter. The meter should be removed and capped, so that water is not able to get back in. Turn off and drain the water heater.

Find the low point in the system, (basement or lowest gravity point with a faucet or hydrant and drain the water from the system. Faucets should be opened to provide air for suction to allow the system to drain completely. With the meter removed, and all faucets open, air pressure (10-30 psi) should be applied to the open line at the meter, and continue until the lines are blown free of water.

Toilets tanks must be drained and wiped free of any excess water in tank. Antifreeze (non-automotive mix) should be dumped into toilets until the trap expels; about a gallon in each commode. The same solution should be dumped into each sink, maybe a half gallon in each sink, in order to blow or empty the trap of tap water.

Heating system should be turned off. If you have a boiler system, these should be professionally drained and winterized. Forced air Electric, gas or fuel oil units do not require winterizing, but should be turned off. If your water heater is electric, turn it off at the circuit breaker to avoid burning up the heating elements. Do not turn it back on unless there is water in it.

Now that you know how to winterize a house, do the most efficient thing and call a plumber a professional will do the winterization for about $75 to $100, on a small house. It will be a little more for a mansion.

Then have the gas and electric service turned off by the power company.

Content-type: text/html


2008-10-11, 09:11:19
anonymous from United States  
You didn't mention many important things winterizing a home. Such as draining kitchen sprayer, ice maker/water at refrigerator,washing machine and dish washer.
2009-03-03, 20:57:28
anonymous from United States  
This was helpful. You can add to drain the house outdoor water spout and check for inlet and outlet traps to winterize.
2009-04-01, 06:54:30
anonymous from United States  
you can also check for faulty faucets and broken lines with the air in the lines. you should be able to hold 30psi for atleast 15min. if not check all your valves and faucets to listen for air escaping.
2009-12-29, 23:29:29
anonymous from United States  
wow that was very helpful. thanks a lot for that valuable information
2010-03-01, 19:32:28
[hidden] from Australia  
Thanks for the information. I live in Australia where we don't have to worry about such things, but have bought a house recently in Michgan where it's important. I think I would pay for the plumber, but at least now I know what I'm getting for my money.



NEW: Optional: Register   Login
Email address (not necessary):

Rate as
Hide my email when showing my comment.
Please notify me once a day about new comments on this topic.
Please provide a valid email address if you select this option, or post under a registered account.

Show city and country
Show country only
Hide my location
You can mark text as 'quoted' by putting [quote] .. [/quote] around it.
Please type in the code:

Please do not post inappropriate pictures. Inappropriate pictures include pictures of minors and nudity.
The owner of this web site reserves the right to delete such material.

photo Add a picture: